Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Here's a good example

Happy Independence Day, I saw this article on AOL news today.

Kansas Shoppers Step Over Dying Woman

WICHITA, Kan. (July 4) - As stabbing victim LaShanda Calloway lay dying on the floor of a convenience store, five shoppers,
including one who stopped to take a picture of her with a cell phone, stepped over the woman, police said.

~~~

The woman later died. Do you think something like this would happen anywhere else? To be fair, this convenience store probably had a"perfect storm" of cretins happening. Even in some of the seediest stores in southern Arizona, I can't imagine people just ignoring a dying woman. Then again, how would I know unless it happpened?

The cell phone bit really ticked me off. It's as if this person saw a dying woman, and thought: "Oh, cool. Somebody dying. I usually only get to see that on TV, I guess I'll take a picture!"

I don't think this is common or normal behavior at all, but it's a swift warning sign when you take a room full of random Americans, and each one happens to be an apathetic sociopath toward one another. Not good, not good at all.

No comments: